Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful … and Wanting

Mom
Growing up, holidays were magical. My mother made them that way. “I Believe” has always been her motto. Snowmen (even in Florida), Santa Claus, flying reindeer … she made it all seem possible and real.Today, I muster up all the “I Believe” I can and try to make the holidays magical for my kids. I want that for them. I want that for myself.
I am thankful my mother is here to share Thanksgiving. I love having one more Thanksgiving with her. She is 83 now, and I know there are not as many Thanksgivings ahead for us with her, as we have had with her in the past. I wish my father were still here to meet and know his youngest grandchild, my son, William George. They would delight in each other’s company.
I am thankful my sister Becky and brother-in-law Doug have joined us again these past few years for our Thanksgiving meal. I wish so much that their son Jonathan were here with us. He was 16 when he died on Dec. 20, 2004.

Thanksgiving 2002
From left, kids in front: Lauren, Jonathan, Martin.
From left, back row: Lee, Mom, Becky, Me, Joaquin.


Thanksgiving 2004 was the last holiday my sister and brother-in-law had with him. None of us knew there would be far more Thanksgivings ahead without him, than all the ones we had shared with him in the past. 

Loss makes love, thankfulness, family and holidays bittersweet. They make me aware of not only my family’s grief, but the mourning of others, too. As the holidays arrive, I think of not only my sweet sister, but all parents and families who are grieving losses.

May we all find peace and comfort throughout the holidays, and maybe, muster up a little magical “I Believe.”

1 comment:

Pages